Monday, August 2, 2010

A day in the life...

The alarm went off at 6:15am- just enough time to get ready for breakfast at 6:30am. I was tired. very tired. Not because of my wake-up time which is considered a ´sleep-in´but from the 4.5 hour nightwalk I went on that got back at 1º1:30pm the night before. The walk consisted of wading through knee deep water, climbing over tree fall, and sear4ching for a swamp in the thick forest by way of a headlamp. The night was deemed successful by the sightings of numerous frogs, a couple birds, and a new friend- a whipless scorpion! Friends!!! This experience hasn´t been anything I expected but has been beyond what I thought I could appreciate. I coupld probably throw-up on cue by hearing the word ¨porridge¨too many times as that is our breakfast everymorning except Sundays. But, I can also easily identify a Eldorhina perezi before most realize its a frog. I knew I would encounter a lot of bugs- but I didnçt know I had the physical and emotional strength I have. Don´t be fooled- I´m still a weakling and couldn´t do a pull-up if I tried, but I can definitely walk for long amounds of time through harsh conditions- downpour to hot sun.

6:30 Breakfast
7:00 Leave for pitfall survey (amphibians)
ETA: 12:00pm
12:30pm Lunch
1:30pm Butterfly Survey
ETA 5:30PM
6:00pm Dinner
7:00pm Nightwalk
ETA 10:00pm

The schedule changes from day to day, but that was just a sample of what I did. Meals are generally vegetarian, we get tuna about once a week. The rest of the time, its a type of beans, veggies, and either past or rice. But, I indulge in chicken at the market on Saturdays :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment