Sunday, March 3, 2013

The perfect job for the perfect time

There was a point in my life where I had a determined plan of going into either the Peace Corps or law school and from there having the ease of being able to pick the right job for me.

Although neither of those things happened, I didn't expect to find myself with the job that I just naturally came across- truly just reinforcing the idea to me that everything happens for a reason.

After working a summer with Rustic Pathways, I immediately felt drawn to work for the company full time. I think it was a combination of the Costa Rica team, the job description, and the variety in the position, that attracted me. This past fall, I found out I would be the newest addition to the full-time staffers that call Rustic Pathways their lifestyle, because that is what it is.

I work for a company that organizes student travel, community service, and education programs. And so naturally, travel, community service, and education become apart of my life (as if it wasn't before). I spend January-April visiting schools, talking to families, and explaining what we do to guidance counselors. Already I have lived in a company paid apartment in NYC and have traveled the past few weeks through the Southeast. May-August I am preparing and overseeing summer programs in Costa Rica, specifically Volcano and Rainforest Service Base program that requires me to live at a large property near the Arenal volcano that is equipped with a fresh water pool, soccer field, ponds, an amazingly sweet cleaning lady and restaurant-catered meals, while I get to give back to the local elementary schools and communities. From September-December I share a house with one of my Costa Rican co-workers and two other people in San Jose, working at our Costa Rican office- making life filled with weekend beach trips and salsa dancing. This makes my job perfect. Perfect for me, perfect for the stage in my life that I am at.

Being in a new role every three months is something that I appreciate so I don't get bored of my job. Traveling and living internationally for my job is something that I appreciate, because is always something I have loved doing. And, working for an international travel company, opens up my opportunities of travel and exposes my to co-workers who are even more well-traveled than I am!

It is hard remember I am in the U.S. after spending most of the past 3 years with no more than a month in North Carolina. So, as I am horrible at reaching out to my friends and family out of habit due to not having the ability, I will make sure to keep updates on here, so that everyone can stay up to date with what I am doing.

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for sharing!
    Wow, that sounds amazing & I'm so happy for you!
    All the Best,
    Love
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete